HEVC/H.265 support

UCHIDA, Hitoshi

Posted on 30.09.2021 05:11

When I compress a video file (ex. xxx.cam0.avi) with H.265, I cannot play it with Dewesoft. I would like to add a function that can support CODECs other than MJPEG and H.264 if VFW CODEC is installed, just for analyze mode.

Gregor Šmit

Posted on 01.10.2021 09:35

Dear Uchida,

thank you for contacting us. For now, the video compression standard H.265 is not supported in DewesoftX. The implementation of the compression standard H.265 is in our long term plan, but without a specific date.

Kind regards.

David VANTYGHEM

Posted on 14.04.2023 14:35

Hello, instead of H.264 or H.265, could you add AV1 and H.266/VVC encoding? Video sizes would be divide by 2-3.

Gage Edwards

Posted on 16.04.2023 16:38

On top of more modern CODECs, support for hardware encoding / decoding would be very useful in decreasing CPU load especially since it seems to be a mostly single threaded work load. At this point virtually every computer has access to hardware encoding / decoding in the CPUs IGPU or via a discrete GPU so this seems like a great feature to have. right now, working with video is just clunky unless the resolution stays below HD.

Matic Pevec
Customer Support Engineer
Posted on 19.04.2023 16:00

Hello,

Thank you for the suggestions. H.265 is not in a near plan to implement. However I will keep you posted here if a plan changes.

We already support "hardware compression". Actually it is JPEG compression that works on the camera directly. This is supported in some GigE cameras that we offer. You can read out more about this on our product page: https://dewesoft.com/products/video-cameras

Login to reply to this topic. If you don't have account yet, you can signup for free account .