2021.4 cursor updates

Joseph Deevy

Posted on 26.08.2021 14:38

I very much appreciate the cursor updates in release 2021.4. It may be a small item, but in the 3D plot, I'm very glad that the numeric values corresponding to the cursor in a 3D (color) plot are now readable, since they no longer change color with the z-axis color value!

I did find one minor problem and still have a disappointment. The problem is that once a marker is defined in a 3D plot, editing the marker to specify a new marker color does not have any effect.

The disappointment is that there are still no order cursors. These would be used with a "waterfall" plot of amplitude vs. frequency and rpm, measured during an rpm sweep of rotating machinery. The excitations related to speed produce diagonal color bands at specific orders and their harmonics, so a diagonal cursor (like a windshield wiper) to identify the orders of these diagonals would be very helpful. Markers at harmonic intervals are also important. An example is shown in the attached image. I regularly export data from Dewesoft to a different tool in order to use order cursors, since they're not available in Dewesoft.

Jaka Mohorko
Software Engineer I
Posted on 30.08.2021 14:18

@Joseph Deevy

Dear Joseph,

thank you for the feedback!

Regarding the marker colours - would it be possible to elaborate on how you are changing the marker colours? It should be possible to change them through the Marker table widget, or the marker setup window. The setup window is accessible by selecting the marker on the graph -> right clicking on it and choosing `Edit selected marker'.

The order cursor you described is planned to be added to our marker repertoire in the future. This, as well as other new markers will be released in future Dewesoft X versions.

We also published a Processing Marker manual which contains more detailed explanations of all the new marker features.

Best Regards,

Jaka

Joseph Deevy

Posted on 30.08.2021 14:51

@Jaka Mohorko

I am not changing marker colors. In previous software, the color of the numeric values corresponding to the cursor position corresponded to the color (z-value) on the color plot. So when I cursored something yellow, the numeric display would be yellow, and would be unreadable on a white background. I'm glad that's no longer the case.

Jaka Mohorko
Software Engineer I
Posted on 30.08.2021 15:32

@Joseph Deevy

Am glad to hear that change on the 3D graph fixed your issue!

In my response above I was referring to the problem with marker colours not changing:

The problem is that once a marker is defined in a 3D plot, editing the marker to specify a new marker color does not have any effect.

I am not sure I understand what was meant here, as I do believe the marker colours should change once edited - they do remain yellow when selected however, as that is the default selected-colour of markers.

Best Regards,

Jaka

Login to reply to this topic. If you don't have account yet, you can signup for free account .